This week's shop feature is Smiles by Jem by Janelle. I love how she lives in San Diego county. I have to say that love the detail of her scarves. She seems to make cotton and silk scarves. For me I love either style but i guess ifi t was upo to me I either go with a pink one since its my favorite color but then her blue is lovely too. With all the varitey of colors you could use it lal to match up and look great. Scarves are never out of fashion, they actually are a nice touch to anything that a person is wearing. It's jsut lovely to see that there is so much variety of colors to choose from as I couldnt just pick one scarf for myself. Iwill definaitely book mark her store. In the meantime the other exciting news is that Janelle has been so kind to do a giveaway and give one of her lovely scarves away. So enjoy the details about her and her shop and be sure to enter for the giveaway! :)
1. How did you come up with the Name of your Shop?
Thailand is the Land of Smiles, and we are both very positive people who believe a smile is a great thing to share. Also, while I traveling last year I came up with the quote “A smile means hello in every language.” JEM is a mix of our names, Janelle Elizabeth and Megan Elizabeth. We have been travel partners and best friends since middle school.
2. Tell us a little bit about your shop and what you think makes it unique?
My shop is unique because of the commitment we have to improving local communities. We are happy to donate 10% to improve communities where are products are made. We make bracelets in Ventura County and donate 10% to Food Share, and we travel to Thailand and spend a few months every year making and designing scarves. We donate 10% of the proceeds from each scarf to SOS Children’s Villages in Thailand.
3. What is your favorite item at the store and why?
My favorite item is the grey ombre scarf, because it goes with everything! Plus the delicate woven look is beautiful.
4. What inspires create your products?
We are inspired by bright colors, beautiful beads, and style from around the world. Also, I love to create! Making bracelets is so fun, and is a nice way to add some color and fashion to my outfit! I have searched markets at Peru, Thailand, India, and the United States to find cool stones and beads to create bracelets with. If you can’t tell, I love to travel!
5. Where can we find you?
We are located online at www.etsy.com/shop/smilesbyjem, at www.scarvesbyjem.com and in 10 stores in Southern California. If you need more specific information let me know.
6. Do you have any coupons or discounts for us? ( optional) if no, I will not have this on the post.
Enjoy this 25% off coupon code 25THANKS
7. What advice can you give for other sellers out there for their shop? Don’t give up! You have so much to learn, so learn something new every day! I have learned how to take better pictures, how to market my shop, and a little bit of SEO information. Search through teams to find good ideas on marketing and SEO, and keep working at it every day.
Now some fun facts about you?
I love to travel!! Last year I spent 7 months traveling the world, ended up in a Soap Opera in Colombia, I got mugged in Peru (the day before I climbed Machu Pichu), I was hospitalized in India, and I got scuba dive certified in Thailand. That’s just a small sample of the many stories I have from my adventures. I encourage everyone to travel if they can, and experience new cultures. It really opens your eyes when you see how others live.
8. What is your Favorite Food?
Mexican food! I was raised speaking Spanish in my home and spent many summers in Mexico City. Rice and Beans is my favorite meal- can you tell I like to keep in simple?
9. Describe us one positive event in your life in your life that you felt was a miracle to you or that you knew the Universe was there watching over you.
I have a few travel stories I can share here- one being how I said yes to new opportunities and ended up in a Telenovela (Soap Opera) in Colombia next year, let me know if that would apply.
10. What is your favorite vacation spot and why?
Thailand! The beaches are breathtaking, the people are so nice, the food is delicious, and it’s really cheap! You can live very well, even on a budget, and there is so much to discover.
11. Anything else you like to share about you?
I am so excited to be opening my own etsy store and doing something I love. I encourage everyone else to do the same!
Finally the Giveaway, Here you will be able to win following scarf below. Again, USA Residents Only. One winner will receive this! Good Luck :)
a Rafflecopter giveaway